Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Skill enhancement to tackle oligopolistic practices?

Auto rickshaws are an amazing invention, three wheels and a two stroke engine, I amazed at how they remain upright. Every morning I see one such vehicle, designed for three passengers (at most) and driver, overflowing with school children on their way to school. I suspect they must have an anti-gravity device somewhere to prevent them from toppling over when taking turns (I have seen these vehicles topple over on occassion). Yet it remains the preferred mode of transport for children from campus to make it to school. To top it all, Autorickshaws near XLRI have a monopolistic tendency. They will not allow other auto's to take passengers from XLRI. I have seen them blocking another auto and forcing the hapless passenger to board their own autos. Needless to say the local autorickshaw drivers charge more for trips from XLRI to anywhere. There is Rafeeq, the guy who can produce anything from car, to a bus on hire whenever XLRI needs it. There is Vasu, the stocky guy who is generally patient and well mannered, at least compared to Bala his brother a hot tempered guy who could give you a piece of his mind at the drop of a hat. There is also a Pillai who lives near by with a telephone and can come and pick you up by a phone call.

On campus I see that several faculty wives are taking driving lessons seriously. Prof. T.A.S. Vijayaraghavan's wife Sudha, Prof. Sanjay Patro's wife Sasmita and (believe it or not) my wife Jessy have taken to learning driving seriously. I suppose its also a mark of how little we faculty are available for the families when they need us. Do I see the possibility of a car-pool taking shape? Unnamed "SOURCES" say that there is no such thing and its entirely a fiction of my imagination.

3 comments:

Yellow said...

Should add that Rafeeq too can always be located through his cell.. In fact, he asks us to wait for a few minutes, while he arrives from whatever corner of Jamshedpur he is in at that moment. Just the other day, I found myself waiting for him, as he arrived from Bistu just to take me back all the way there. Apart from the fact that I wasted a precious few minutes, and even managed to arrange for alternate transport, which I had to then forego (the moral cotract made - sigh, Indian culture!) - I even shelled out more money!!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.